Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Helping Hands....

It has been so very nice having lunch dates. It seems to be just as good for the guest as myself. Its as though this is a time in life that its finally ok to say when a person is not ok, and know that they are not alone, not shunned, and not rejected. The awesome part is that "we" gain encouragement from each other! It helps us to think of how the other person is doing, and realize life IS about helping others. No time for my pity party.

Some are aware that our family has become involved with taking care of our grandmother from the Fresno area. Through the experience of working with seniors at the senior center, I've seen how easy seniors can be taken advantage of. And also how much need a senior may have. It may be the small things like changing a light bulb or throwing trash.

If you have a relative that is a senior and is alone, you may be surprised to find out how these little things make a big difference. Some people are more open to help, others fear you will expose them. IF YOUR HEART IS SINCERE, a helping hand goes a long way for more than just them.

I have made several trips to the Fresno area, and the helping of my grandma has been tremendous therapy for myself. Hoarders don't mean to become that way, it just happens. They cannot break away from what they "might" need one day. The experience has given me a great compassion to provide help to the ones lost in their own home with items that can become very unhealthy to them.
This is not for the weak in stomach, but for me it has been what has kept me away from the loom of depression....how bout you?

1 comment:

  1. i too have worked with senior citizens. It is true that it is not for the weak in stomach. I used to change an 90 year old mans diaper...i remeber one time he was so embarrased he said to me with tears in his eyes."im sorry honey" and with tears in my eyes i continued to clean him and told him" its ok, its ok"...love you Tia...

    ReplyDelete