Saturday, April 25, 2009

April 25th...

This date marks a bittersweet day.

The realization, that my father has been gone for 30 years today..... I've gone throughout my day preparing for relay thinking, what would dad think of our being so commited to this life changing event. How I know that dad would really like Richard. He'd so much enjoy all of his grandkids, in their own unique ways. What would mom and dad be doing today.

I then think of my mother. Oh how I hope I will be as strong as she, one day. I hope I will be the same soothing voice to hear, when my children need me most. As she has to me. Then I can see her face, and really hope to be so beautiful, both inside and outward! How has she made it without him? I know what she will say. The strength of God, and the love of family.

Almost 8 years cancer free, I in the same breath say, "Dad, you didn't die of cancer. The loss of a loved one doesn't change due to how or why. I didn't see you waste away, as another may have had to. Nonetheless, I will walk for those that did lose their lives due to cancer. And I will walk in celebration of still having the good fortune of life today." But I still understand the sadness of loss.

Relay For Life
Dana Point 2009
May 2 - May 3
10am - 10am

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Josie for your very personal message, you too understand.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I am speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your insight is an inspiration. I love it that your still here with us. Love, Liz

    ReplyDelete